Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Halloween Ultimate Recycle Box Scene


Today, I have a Recycled Halloween Treat for you.  I created this for our second challenge at Recycle, Re-Purpose and Re-Invent. For the foundation of my project, I used an old  Christmas that was covered with a Holly print. I started by covering it with mat Gel Medium and than a few layers of back Acyclic paint then more layers of Gel Medium. I then printed out several of my digital background designs on some orange, purple and green paper and cover both the inside and outside of the box.

All total for my Halloween scene I used 22 recycled items. Some can be seen and come can not

I bought the skeletons and skulls last year but never did anything with them until now. When I washed them, all the black came off of the crevices so had to repaint them. I first painted them black, wiped that off and then dry brushed white and a little hint of green over that. The bat by skeleton’s shoulder is a cup cake pick.  The Dead Tree is a Hydrangea Stem from an old basked of Hydrangeas I picked many years ago.


The Pot for the Skeleton Stew was a free item I found in a shop that was going out of business. It was in a box marked free and the lady behind the counter said whatever is not taken is going to the trash so rescued it and several other things. The little pot must have been used to burn tea candles because when I washed it, I found wax in the bottom and had to scrape it out. It was originally a sort of greyish white and I painted it black and they dry brushed on some green.


I made the tomb stones from left over mat board from framing.  I had mentioned to my Hubby just the other day that I wanted a set of  letter punches because I wanted to turn some pennies in to charms. Canada no longer used pennies as currency and I saved a  bunch before they wet out of circulation. I did not realize that Hubby already had a set of punches until I found them sitting on  one of my desk a couple of hours late. How cool is that, they did a pretty go job on the tombstones and have lots of other ideas I want to try.


I counted 22 Recycled Items:
Proving once again that there is very little that can't be recycled into art. :)

The Box was an old ugly Christmas box.
The Knob at the top is an old drawer pull
The Legs are Small Pons from a chess set.
The Bat by the skeleton’s shoulder is a cupcake pick
The Pot was candle holder that someone was going to throw out so I rescued it.
The Dead Tree is a Hydrangea stem from a basket I collected years ago.
The funny looking stem to left and font of the pot is the dried top from one of my Zucchini when I was still gardening.
The little round cave by  the zucchini stem is a broke hazel nut.
The tiny little creature looking at you from inside the hazel nut cave is an apple seed.
There a couple of pieces of drift from my beach combing.
There us a small acorn by the hazel nut
And there is a twig from the forest near us behind the acorn
I made the tombstones from mat board left over from framing.
In front of the upright piece of wood is a broken piece of eucalyptus which I added some paint to
I not sure what that dried round thing in the pot is, I have had it so long I have forgotten what it was.
The green fibers in the pot and the grass by the tombstones is Spanish moss.
The Wood that has Boo on is was a lark pick that was stuck on top of my Hamburger when I had lunch with Hubby at a local restaurant.
I don’t quite remember what the pods be hind the boo are, also old and I think they are from a Philodendron that is long gone now.


The stuff behind that is not visible
To make the Skeleton stick, up further from the pot, I use a lid from a dear glue stick that was all used up.
To make the tombstones stand up, I used some tiny blocks (playing pieces from a child's game)
To make the tree stand up and make it easier to glue in place, I glued the bottom of the branch to a lid from a long ago used watercolor tube.
I then glued the watercolor tube to a mini piker chip to give it more of a foundation to glue to, The poker chip didn’t have a hole for the branch to fit into but the watercolor lid did so that is why I combined the two.


 

 Even thought this is sort of a shadowbox, I decided to keep the Lid as an accessory piece as I can keep it closed if I want to store it or keep the dust out when it is not displayed on one of my shelves in my Art Room.

I hope enjoyed my Altered and recycled Halloween project as much as I enjoyed creating. Hop you will also come and join in our Recycle, Re-Purpose & Re-Invent challenge and be sure to check out the rest of the teams amazing creations.

We're Also having a Design Team and Guest Artist Call
 If you want come play on our team this is your chance to do so. You can submit your application through my CS Designs or come play in our challenge and add DT or GD after your name in one of your entries.
  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


My Halloween Ultimate Recycle Box Scene is entered in the following challenges
Altered Eclectics ... Always anything Goes
A little Bit Crafty ... Boo
Rhedd's Creative Spirit  ... Halloween or Not
Craft Hoarders Anonymous ... 17 Happy Fall Yall
Not Just Cards ... #4 Always Anything Goes
Through the Craftroom Door ... Anything Goes
Sisters of Craft ... Always Anything Goes

15 comments:

Julia said...

What a beautiful piece. every little detail is perfect. You have such a talent for recycling and re-purposing, very inspired by this project! Thanks for sharing!

DonnaMundinger said...

Whoa, Lady! You take recycling to a whole new level! FAbulous shadow box. I'm still drinking in all of the details. Really? An apple seed? Holy moley! Nothing gets by you. Love it! xxD

Christy Butters said...

Definitely an ultimate recycle. This is an amazing project. Thanks for sharing with us at Craft Hoarders Anon :)

Ellis said...

Fabulous recycling and an amazing scene with lot's of details in your box! =)
Hugs, Elenor

Zoe said...

Wow another stunning piece, love it
Thank you for joining this week at Not Just Cards Challenges Good luck and We hope you'll join us again soon.
Zoe x
Handmade with lots of Love

wendipooh13 said...

this totally rocks!!! super fun halloween project!!!Thanks for sharing with us at Craft Hoarders Anon :)

glendabrooks.blogspot.com said...

Talk about up-cycling! This is just amazing! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

Melissa Latchem said...

Very detailed and very scary!! Many thanks for joining the Rhedd's Creative Spirit challenge and good luck!!! Melissa (DT)

Michele said...

you are a genius! this is a stunning creation and i love all the different recycled items you managed to incorporate. i am inspired. xo

Beccalite said...

This is awesome, love the scene and all your attention to detail, using so many recycled items.

Thank you for coming over and joining in with us at Rhedd's Creative Spirit.

Great Big Huge Hugs

Becca xxx (DT Member)

Melanie Smith said...

I love your recycling as well as the design of this. Great work! Thank you for joining us at Through The Craft Room Door. Melanie, DT

Elaine aka Ellapu said...

I love that you used so many objects for recycling. Brilliant scene too. ​Thank you for joining in with our challenge this month and hope to see you in future challenges.
Hugz and love Elaine aka Ellapu​

​Owner of
​Handcrafted by Ellapu
Altered Eclectics
Eclectic Ellapu
​DT for​
Anything but a Card

lost coast scrapper said...

Very cool, love the details! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

Gloria Stengel said...

You used the most hoarded "junk" ever! And...skeleton stew...so funny! Great job. Thanks for playing along with us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

Tracy Welham said...

Wow what can I say, this is fang-tastic! So clever to use so many recycled items too. Thanks for joining in with The Sisters of Craft Challenge. Crafty Blessings, Tracy x SOC DT