Saturday, February 1, 2014

Coffee Table Display Mixed Media Book

This is my first project post in a very long time. Due to an illness in my family, I have had little time for creativity lately and I also put my blog on hold for the past several months. I have missed my art as well as my blog and decided, regardless on what else was going on in my life it was time to get back to doing what I love.

Today’s Project: Is a couple of pages from a new mini book, I just started. The pages shown in this post contains a couple of Twinchies and an ATC in a little pocket, I created especially for the re-opening of the monthly challenge at The Craft Garden .

Some of my favorite pieces to create are ATCs, Tag Art, Inchies, and Twinchies and although they are meant to be traded, I usually sell or keep mine and have a habit of displaying and storing them in various spots around my art room which really does not do such small pieces justice.  For quite a while now, I have been giving some though to other ways to better display and share these small pieces with those who come to visit me and I finally decided to create a mini coffee table type book with just for that purpose.

Since this book will be a work in progress, I have used Hinged Book Rings to attach the individual pages. The Hinged Binder Rings will allow for the easy addition of new pages which may include bulky elements as well as allow for dramatic changes to my original design idea, should I decide I want a slightly different look to the finished book at a later date.  I think this type of book has so many fab possibilities of things to include as well as what can be done with I and I have some fab ideas I want to try and experiment with.

Note: Although I have used Metal Book Rings to attach my pages and used my own ATCs, ribbon or cording could serve a similar purpose for binding such a book and ATCs received from others could be used to decorate individual pages.   
Materials used for this project:
Mat Board for covers, Book Rings, yarn, crochet thread, Card stock, Decorative papers, Paint, Ink,  General tools for creating and gluing.


Additional elements used for my pages, were: Drywall tape, metal cogs, crochet thread, beads, self adhesive pearls, silver clipolia, pink heart brad and the silver glitter round is hot glue which has been stamped on. For coloring main designs I used Prismacolor pencils and odorless turpentine, as well as Sharpe and Bick markers.

CS Designs digital stamps used for this project ... Queen of Hearts sentiment
Summer Garden Square
How do I love thee ... Script/Text background
Asian Kimono Doll... will be in the CS Designs shop soon ( sorry I forgot to create the store image before I attached the Enjoy the little things sentiment over it.

For our first challenge at The Craft Garden, the theme is a lovely color challenge you can see the colors on my side bar or visit The Craft Garden. There are some new faces on the design team, as well as some wonderful DT examples for your viewing pleasure and hope you will stop by and share some of your fabulous creations with us. Did I forget to mention that there is also a cool prize?  (Thank you Kerry for inviting me to join your team again, I am so honored and look forward to all the wonderful challenge themes you have planned for the months ahead.)

Thank you for stopping by today. I hope you enjoyed the beginning of my new Mini Coffee Table Display Mixed Media Book, and will come back and visit as I add more pages and elements

I have entered this project in the following challenges:
Make it Monday ... Always a fun place to play
ABC Challenge ... E is for Embellishments My 3 Embellishments ...Pearls, Clipolia, Silver cog
2 Sisters #173 ... Embossing... Silver element on first image is embossed silver glitter glue

9 comments:

Rene said...

Awesome projects! Thank you so much for sharing these with us at Make it Monday! Remember, to be in the running to win the prize from our sponsor this week just leave a comment for another entry. Be sure to mention you saw them on Make It Monday. The more entries you comment on the more chances you have of winning!
Good luck!
Rene :D

Desire Fourie said...

Hi Chris
It was awesome seeing a comment from you on my blog. I was getting worried about you, and am sorry to hear that you and the family went through a trying time. I sure hope you are feeling a bit better. So strange, I did not get your email you mentioned and I do check my spam mail every day.
Your mini album is such a wonderful way to display your art. Love the asian theme of this page and your colouring and finishing touches are always so creative. I am hopping over to the Craft Garden right now.
Wishing you all the best.
Lots of caring hugs
Desíre {Doing Life}

Ellis said...

Beautiful new project you made Chris, nice to see you back to crafting again! =)
Hugs, Elenor

kitscard said...

Thanks for your lovely comments on my blog. Its such a pleasure to work with you on the DT! I love your mixed media book especially that blue script paper in the background!

Pumpy said...

Hi, I was very happy to see a comme nt on my blog from you. Sorry you have been having health problems in your family, I wish that all comes very well soon. One feels as though there is nothing that can be done. God is there, do not be afraid put you faith in him.
looking forward to see some work appearing and all worries are gone. xxxx Pumpy.

Stacy Walker said...

Very nice. Thank you for joining us at the 2 Sisters Challenge.

Lin said...

Sorry to read you are having such a hard time with a family illness.

Thanks for sharing your fabulous pages with us

Lin
ABC

Angela Radford said...

So pleased to have found your blog and thank you for your kind comments.
Love the idea of the mini book as you can add to it when you feel in the mood. It would be useful as a technique library.
Sending hugs, Angela x

Ann-Marie said...

Very pretty pages for your mini book. Thank you for sharing with us over at The ABC Challenge. Take care, Ann-Marie xxx