Monday, July 1, 2013

Central Pacific Railroad Steampunk ATC

It's time for a brand new challenge at The Craft Garden and this time our challenge is to either incorporate a Train theme or a Mallard Duck in your project.

Our challenge is inspired by the A4 class locomotive Mallard which on 3 July 1938,  raced down Stoke Bank at 126 mph to set a new steam locomotive world speed record. That record still stands.

Since I didn't have any Train or Mallard designs in my collection I did a little improvising and drew a couple of new designs and created a Steampunk ATC with a Railroad and Journey theme.

The foundation for this ATC is a piece of mat board which has been covered with a page from an old second hand book. I painted the background with washes of several colors of watercolor and did a little dripping and spattering for extra interest.

The three main focal points of the ATC are some of my original digital stamp designs: Steampunk Monocle, Life is a Journey Sentiment and Central Pacific Railroad Ticket. The Ticket and Monocle were both printed on script patterned paper and dabbed with pigment ink. I applied a bit of Prismacolor pencil on the eyes to coordinate better with the background and added a couple of metal cogs for a Steampunk look. The cog over the Eye Monocle at the bottom has been glued over the Monocle in the design with Crystal Accents.

Materials Used:
All digital designs by Chris / CS Designs
Steampunk Monocle
It's a Journey Sentiment
Central Pacific Railroad Ticket
Matboard, printed book page, and colored cardstock
Watercolor, Pigment ink, Prismacolor Pencils
Metal Cogs and red brad.
General adhesive and double sided tape
Crystal Accents.

Railroad Steampunk is participating in the following challenges:
Make it Monday #147 ... Anything Goes Link Party
Artistic Inspirations #48 ... Anything Goes
Sweet Stampin' ... Not Cute
Come and Get it ... Masculine 


15 comments:

Cheryl said...

This is great! I'm signed up for a steampunk themed project. So far I've just been collecting things.

Desire Fourie said...

Chris this is an awesome take on the theme. Love how you created your background and the layered look of all the elements.
Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

Debbie said...

Very nice card, thank you for joining us this week at Sweet Stampin'. Debbiex

Loz said...

Fantastic card and image. Visiting from MIM..Loz

Abbie Kay said...

Fabulous card, love the design, lots to look at. Thank you for joining us at Artistic this week. Abbie (Owner) xx

Joey said...

Hi Chris, this really drew me in whilst over at mim, had to come take a closer look, its fantastic. Joey x

Shell B. said...

Very interesting Masculine card Chris, great job on the steam punk act!

Glad that you shared with us at Come And Get It!

¸..• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..•´
Shell in Alaska
http://akstamping.blogspot.com

Sandie said...

Fabulous Atc, great take on the theme too...love your images for this atc..

Hugs
Sandie x

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

What a fun piece, Chris! I love the color scheme and using the gear as a monocle was brilliant. Blessings!

Zoe said...

Amazing!!

Thank you for joining this week at Artistic Inspirations

Zoe x
Handmade with lots of Love

Billie A said...

Great ATC I saw your card on MIM. I love ATC's I use to belong to a club out of Montana, I live in WA state. I loved making those little works of art. Yours for sure is a work of art. Thanks for sharing so glad I took a closer look.

Abi said...

Fabulous ATC, this is a popular theme right now! Thanks so much for playing along with Sweet Stampin' x

PinkyLisasInkyCrafts said...

What a brilliant ATC! The layout is great with the different layers. The images are great and I love the monocle detail.
The fact you have used a typed page as a backing is great.

Hugs Lisa xxxxx

P.S. thank you so much for the amazingly wonderful and complimentary comments you have left on my blog. As soon as I am on my laptop I will happily become a follower.

Annie said...

Hi Chris what a fab ATC and how wonderful to create an image................. :-)

I am delighted that you are finding time to craft as I know how much you enjoy it and it is great for taking our minds off other matters.

Crafty hugs

Annie x

Sandy said...

This is wonderful - but I am not one bit surprised.
Sandy