Saturday, June 15, 2013

Buried Treasure 2013 A Collaborative Art Project


I am a great believer that life is an ever changing journey that allows us to learn and grow as we find our way and while it may not always be easy, it is always full of endless possibilities for something wonderful

Since the closing of my Art With No Boundaries monthly magazine earlier this month due to a serious illness in my family, I have found it difficult to be motivated or inspired by anything which includes my art. This in itself is a new experience for me because my art has always been an integral part of who I am and that which sustains me no matter what else may be happening in my life at any given moment.

They say when one door closes another will open and recently a new door opened for me by way of an artist named Seth Apter. I don’t remember how I found his blog but it came at just the right time and was just the inspiration and motivation I have been needing. Every year Seth hosts a collaborative project where he encourages artists to dig deep into their blogs, find the buried treasure there, write a post about it and share the link on his blog. After spending some time looking around his bog, as well as some of the artists participating, I found myself getting both excited and once again inspired and knew this was something I wanted to be a part of. Although I am very serious and passionate about my art, I am not a very prolific blogger so it was hard for me to choose pieces I previously posted which I thought might still be inspiring to my readers the second time around. Since I wanted to go for at least a bit of a theme here I have chosen to show you some of my favorite Steampunk pieces with a few other thigs thrown in.

Note:  All the links in this post will open up in a new window or tab so you can continue to read this post while still being able to view my original projects with the rest of the information and photos they include.

For my First Buried Treasure:
I have chosen my Handmade Steampunk Shadowbox which uses some of my own mouse drawn high resolution digital designs as well as 16 recycled items which includes the cereal box I made the shadow box from. Because this would be a small novel if I were to post everything I used in my project, you can see the complete list of recycled items and how I created my piece in my original post. ... Here ... I will add a bit of a spoiler and mention pie plates and roofing material.

I live in a very small town in a rural community of British Columbia, Canada with no art stores or creative amenities so I have always found it necessary to create much of what I use in my altered art from scratch or from things I find and reinvent from the Salvation Army or second hand store that are about an hour from where we live. The closest Michales is about 3 hours away so needless to say recycled items not only fuel my creative addiction but helps me see everything in a whole different light.

For my Second Buried Treasure:
I have chosen my Steampunk Altered Sardine Can. As with my Shadowbox, all the paper elements in this piece are my own designs. The wire elements are made from brass 22 gauge wire and the wheels are antique metal buttons hot glued over the end of shotgun shells. More about this project can be found in my original post ... Here ...

For my Third Buried Treasure:
There is something quite fascinating and delightful about the mixture of Vintage Nostalgia and Modern Edgy, that I find difficult to resist and for my Third Buried Treasure I have chosen a squashed Steampunkk Canning Jar Lid / Mini Wall Hanging. I can’t tell you how much fun it was to smash something into oblivion without feeling that I was really destroying something. A big hammer and a bit of metal can be such a great way to relieve stress and I think I should do more of these types of projects. My art is multi-faceted and I am also a digital stamp artist and all the paper elements in this piece like all my work on my blog are my own designs which have been colored with Prismacolor pencils and blended with odorless turpentine. The  brass circles on each side imprinted with the word Clever which the wire is attached to are the brass bottoms of  12 gauge shotgun shells. My Hubby shoots Trap (Clay Birds) as a hobby and I'm quite thrilled with the fact that he lets me scrounge from his stuff too. More about this project can be found ... Here ...

My Fourth Buried Treasure .. One of my Paper Dolls

Chris Stern CS Designs Deka Lake bc Oil PaintingI was just going to show you my Steampunk because they are among my favorite pieces but I also have a passion for silly yet trendy and doodled paper dolls. I have fond memories of playing with paper dolls as a child and the novelty hasn’t worn off now that I'm an adult, only now instead of pre-printed and store bought paper dolls, I enjoy creating my own which are all one of a kind.

 I created the Paper Art Doll above in May of last year and the sentiment she holds is always and forever, so very true.

 All the projects I have chosen to post above have a place in my heart and a permanent home on one of the shelves that line my art room. They are always within view and are a constant reminder of how much enjoyment I get from my art.

I have never really been much of a a card maker because although they can be very pretty and are popular on many blogs and challenges, they never seem to have the same effect on my imagination and passion when creating as pieces that are altered, recycled, spindled, folded, mutilated or have a spattering of paint about them. I have always loved and preferred things that are outside the box, have an original presence and personality all their own.

I have a friend who often asks me what I am going to do with a particular piece as she sees no real purpose for creativity in anything other than cards which can be given and sent to others. I sell alot of my art both online and off and also give it away as gifts, but the simple truth is that I create becasue I love it, it's part of who I am, often serves as emotional therapy and just for Arts's sake.

My Oil Paintings: Because this post is meant to share my work with other Artists that may never have seen my art before, I have included some of my favorite buried treasures from some of my other blogs as well. A glimps of my art would not be complete without my oils, so I have included two of my paintings above for your viewing pleasure as well. Both of these paintings shown above are real places close to where I live. I am surrounded by lots of trees, wild flowers, wild birds,Moose, Deer and oodles of beautiful lakes. You can seem a few more of my oils on my About the Artist Page.

And Now for the Real Thing: The picture below is from the very first post I posted to this blog back in  January 2011.
It is a view from my living room window and my original post was simply entitled Inspiration. Our lake is 12 miles long and while I do live in the toolies, it is very beautiful here and we also have the most amazing, vibrant and colorful sunsets imaginable. Sometimes when I look at our view which I tend to do alot, I  feel it is as close to heaven as one can get here on earth and it has a very calming effect on me and often does wonders for my imigination.

For my Final Hidden Gem, I have included the cover from the last and final issue from my Art With No Boundaries online Ezine/Magazine.


This one is not housed on my Doodle Pieces blog but on my Art With No Boundaries blog. I though of submitting that blog to Seth's Buried Treasure collaborative project as well but in reality I view the entire thing as a treasure which allowed me to share so much of my self and my love of art with others. It would have been too difficult to choose just one or two projects from the whole. Besides what you see on the cover of this last issue, there are still lots of projects and tutorials from past issues which you can still go and read. Just some of the features I wrote about in the Ezine were, an in dept chalk marbling, altered slide mounts, altered children's board books, oil pastel background, handmade wire elements and bejeweled and wire bookmarks and let me not forget lots of Art Tags (arty book marks). I seem to have a real addiction to these, perhaps because I also love old, vintage and illustrated books with the work of other artists and these make great companions for them.

If this is your first visit to one of my blogs and would like to see more of my art, please check out the rest of this blog and my Art With No Boundaries Ezine. You can find a link to the magazine and every past issue through the top button navigation menu at the top of every one of my blogs or through the following link:

... Art With No Boundaries ...  
An Expressive and Innovative Mixed Media Art Ezine for Paper Crafters, Collage and Assemblage Artists
 
Although this is a very lengthy post, I hope you have enjoyed a glimps into my world, my art, my blogs and the Buried Treasure there. I hope you will also enjoy seeing the rest of my work. Thank you Seth for giving me the opportunity to meet other Artists and Explore their Buried Treasures as well. I can see this is going to be an exciting journey with lots of inspiration along the way. :)

If you have not yet visited Seth’s blog The Altered Page and the rest of those participating, I encourage you to do so. It is an experience that you will not want to miss. Seth will continue to add new participating blogs until July 16th so there is still lots of time if you want to participate and I look forward to seeing some of your art as well..

You can find a list of other participating artists and their blogs for Seth's Buried Treasure through the following link: ..  Buried Treasure 2013

27 comments:

2amscrapper said...

thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm sorry to read your ezine is closing. I'm going to follow your blog through Bloglovn'

Desire Fourie said...

Chris this in itself is an awesome reflection of your amazing and unique talent. Going down memory lane is often therapy in itself, good for the soul. You are so blessed living in the middle of nature's beauty. Thanks for sharing.
{I would love you to take part in my 600 Follower Give-away. Thank you so much if you have already entered and good luck.} Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

Sandie said...

Hi Chris...I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your page. Your Steampunks makes are fabulous and your painting is amazing.
The area you live has an outstanding view,you must notice something different each time you look out of your window.
Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving such a loving comment.

Hugs
Sandie x
Somewhere to be Me Blogspot.

Cindy Groh said...

Great projects. Since you have played at our chalk blog before I wanted to let you know that it's anything goes with chalk at Chalk Ah Lot for the next 12 days. Hopefully you can join us.
Best Wishes
Cindy

Beverley Baird said...

What gorgeous pieces you have shared! Love them all!

Patsy Paterno said...

Wow! Great pieces! Patsy from
HeARTworks

Donna-Marie said...

You are an extremely gifted artist my friend!!! I am glad you made the connection. I have added you to my fav list and will be visiting regularly :-)

Jo Murray said...

OOOOOer...I am in awe of your diverse talents Chris...and delighted to meet you through Seth.

Teresa Jaye said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog and for your lovely comments. I have enjoyed your work and will be "leafing" through your E-zine and stopping back here for a visit!

Carol Lee Beckx said...

I so love your Steampunk Shadow box - it's wonderful. Thanks for visiting my blog and for your very kind comments.

Maya Ariffin said...

Oh I love your steampunk project & especially love it when it's consist recycled items! You're a true artist. :)

Thanks for dropping by my blog & I'm a follower of your blog too ;)

Maya xx

Pam McKnight said...

Chris love your Steampunk and the clever reuse of all the materials. I choose to use recycled materials over new as a matter of principal. Thank you so much visiting my blog and leaving comments, I am now following you as well.

Steph Herbert said...

Oh, Chris! Thank you for sharing your hidden treasures. You overflow with talent! I have loved your Steam Punk pieces for quite some time. I had no idea about your oil paintings. They are just lovely! Thank you for a heaping dose of inspiration not only visually from your art but, also from your passion and drive to create it!

toni said...

Hi Chris , l love the treasures you have uncovered especially your altered art pieces, great colours and stamping. I will also be taking a look at some of your E zines, thank you so much for visiting me,joining and leaving such nice comments, it all takes time and i do appreciate it. I have joined you also so will be popping back. I must say the view from your living room is just breathtaking. I live in a town and have very little view of the sky, my garden is nice, but it is crowded in by trees and houses. I would love to have a view of a big sky, always changing colour and shape, always something to see how lovely ! Toni x

Cheryl said...

Hello Chris. I'm visiting from Buried Treasure. I'm sorry to hear about the demise of your ezine. It looks fab. I greatly admire your steampunk art pieces. Although I have not had the pleasure of creating any 3D steampunk art it continues to call to me. I would love to have room enough to play with the materials I find. I'm also delighted by the photograph of your view. I live in Bellingham, WA and have beautiful views to choose from as wel but none from my current home. I want to see more of your art so I'm going to follow you and put you on my blog roll. Isn't Seth cool? I met him last year at a book signing in Everett.

Lindi Stevenson said...

Chris - Loved seeing the variety of work you have done and look forward to learning more about your art in all of its forms! Being such a newbie at blogging I totally appreciate all of the effort it takes to keep up with one much less multiple sites. Thanks for taking the time to stop by and visit me and look forward to seeing you again in the future. Seth is a master social connection for many artists who may never have a chance to connect otherwise. There is a reward somewhere for that kind of outreach! Many positive thoughts for you and your family. Keep art close...

Jo C. said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog during Seth's Buried Treasure blog hop and leaving such supportive comments about my work.

Your steampunk assemblages are wonderful - I love the playful energy of many of your pieces. I wish you and your family well during the health crisis you mentioned and that your art will get you through.

All the best, Jo of Crafting the Sacred

Renee said...

Hi Chris, Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such kind comments. I am in awe of your art work as I scroll through your blog. I'll be following you now. You have some pretty amazing projects, very beautiful and clever with your use of recycling. I'm so glad you found Seth, I met him recently in some classes he taught locally and he is a WONDERFUL person in real life too! I wish you well during your time of crisis, your artwork should be a healing outlet for you.

Amy* said...

What amazing and inspiring Treasures! You sure know how to turn trash into art to be treasured :). I'm amazed by not only your resourcefulness but by the unbridled talent you posses. You have are an incredibly gifted artist...I thought the oil of the fence was aphoto at first...phenomenal work!

Amy*

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful work! Sorry you are closing the Ezine! Valerie

Lynne with an e said...

Very happy to have had this chance to see your favourite pieces--which are all delightful, quirky, original, fun and edgy--and to get to know you a bit.

Thanks for joining in at my Ragzedge blog. I'll be back to visit you often, once my summer holidays are done and I'm back in my studio.

Robert said...

Hi, Chris- I went and looked at your wonderful 'Buried Treasure' post after the comment you left on mine. Love your wonderful re-purposing of materials I'm your Steampunk pieces. So sorry to hear that your online zine has come to an end. Keep your eye on Seth's blog for the next issue of The Pulse, his online zine, which is a collaborative effort. Also, check out his print book, The Pulse of Mixed Media, a book version of The Pulse. More of my own work can be seen at absolutearts.com/scrapbox.

Gallery Juana said...

Amazing shadowbox! I love visiting the second-hand shops in my town and looking for little forgotten treasures to use in my art, so I very much enjoyed reading about your resourcefulness in making your art pieces.

Coincidentally, I stopped doing art during a difficult transition last year. Sometimes we just need to hibernate until we enter our next personal season.

Thank you for your lovely comments. I added you to my blog feed:)

cathyb.typepad.com said...

Hi Chris - thank you for finding me through Seth's Buried Treasures idea - wasn't that great fun. I enjoyed and appreciate your wonderful comments - geesh - thank you. I love your work too omg - you too are an artist of a different kind : ) and I mean that in the best way - hey lets talk more

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I love all your steampunk pieces, especially the original digital drawings that you incorporate into them. I live in a small border town of Texas, so I can relate to working with what you have and find around town, as well as doing original drawings. I am sorry to hear about the serious illness in your family and how it affected you. May you continue to find peace and joy in art to continue to thrive. Blessings!

May said...

WOW, Stunning selection of Beautiful makes...... Thank you for your visit & kind comments... following you on Bloglovin!!! Your work is amazing... you are so talented... Thank you for sharing with us... Hugs May x x x

sara j said...

Hi Chris
I am sorry to be so late in visiting after the wonderful things you said on my blog...this having a real summer thing seems to have totally messed me up, but in a good way. I am a big fan of steampunk and love the molded metal in the first piece...love the doll, and the brooch (in the next post but what a fun pin) and am in awe of just about anyone these days who can draw and paint! Thanks again for visiting buried treasure.