Monday, June 11, 2012

Steampunk Shadowbox The Ultimate Recycle

It's time for more Steampunk and this time I created a shadow box. This project has to be the ultimate in recycling because I used 16 different recycled items to create it. I have listed the items I recycled, at the bottom of this post, but it might be fun to see if you can guess what some of them are without first peeking any further. Some are more obvious and some are hidden.

 
 The embossed corner piece on the top right is a piece of recycled Christmas card.
The metal background is a piece of a pie tin I ran through my Cuttle bug
and then distressed with some copper acrylic paint
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The main focal point for this as well as all the other paper elements I used are all digital designs from my  new Steampunk Collection. The designs have been colored with Prismacolor pencils and blended with odorless turpentine.

I created my Steampunk Shadowbox The Ultimate Recycle especially for the Heavy Metal challenge on Art With No Boundaries which was just  posted today. 

My Recycled Steampunk Shadow Box is being featured along side the fabulous examples by the CS Design Team, on our Art With No Boundaries challenge blog. We have more amazing examples for you to look at so be sure to pop in and have a peek, you won't be disapointed.


The large copper element on the right behind the red bead is a puzzle piece
and the background is a piece of rolled roofing which I dry brushed with copper paint
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The list of Recycled Material I used:
1. A Cereal box to construct the inside of the frame.
2. Re-inforced outside and made shelves with leftover matboard from framing paintings.
3. Covered the mat-board with pages of an old book I bought for 25 cents.
4. The corner pieces on the top left and bottom are from an old Christmas card.
5. The embossed metal background on top the Steam Gears panel section and below the key are from an old Pie Tin.
6. The key on the left bottom is from one of my old floppy disk cases.
7. The background under the Distressed sentiment is a piece of rolled roofing that has been dry brushed with copper acrylic paint.
8. The wrapped paper Rose directly across from my Solitaire design is made from packing material an external hard drive came wrapped in, it has been painted and dry brushed with green and copper acrylic paint..
9. The gold cording around the paper rose is from the outside of a Christmas card box
10. The metal element on the top left corner is on old piece of jewelry I bought at a swap meet
11. Since Pop up dots did not give me enough height, I used an old piece of wine cork in back of the jewelry piece for more elevation.
12. I raised the key by gluing a small  metal nut  in back of it, the nut came from my Hubby's shop.
13. The copper piece under the red bead is a large puzzle piece also dry brushed with acrylic copper paint.
14. The little bit of fiber on the left side of Solitaire is a small piece of tattered ribbon, I had that was too small use for anything else, but was too pretty to throw away.
15. I did all the copper dry bushing with some acrylic paint I got from my MIN that she didn't want any more.
16. I glued a metal lid from an Snapple Ice Tea bottle in back of my Solitaire image for more height.

Artist's Note: I Hope this will inspire you to look at things differently.  Junk is only how one perceives it and it is amazing what can be used in your art if you are willing to have an open mind. One persons junk is an Artist's Treasure.




Every one has been enjoying the double challenge at Art With No Boundaries so much that we have decided to make it a standard pratice. The challenge for this fortnight challenge is Anything Goes & Heavy Metal for our Bonus Round, and you guessed it you have to use something metal. Those who play in our Bonus Round will also have a chance to win one of the sentiment collections from my new Steampunk collection. One of the New Design just posted today. can be seen above

Want to win one of the designs from my new Steampunkk collreciotn? 
have a look at my previous post.

Steampunk Recycled Shadow Box is playing in the following challenges: 
Art With No Boundaries ...  2 challenges Anything Goes & Heavy Metal... Fortnight
Recycle, Re-Purpose & Re-Invent  ... 2 challenges Anything Goes & Heavy Metal... Monthly
Make it Monday ... Fun Link Party
Love To Create #19 ... Something Recycled (16 things)
Crafty Card Makers ... No Cards, Tags or ATCs
Moving Along With The Times ... Anything but a Card

21 comments:

Bonnie Irvine said...

You have created such a fabulous shadowbox demonstrating your incredible imagination and creativity. It's one of those pieces I like to reexamine over and over because I keep seeing new details. Kudos on including 15 recycled pieces. This will make me consider all kinds of bits and bobs very differently. I love that!

Silvia(Barnie) said...

How cool, a fantastic shadow box with wonderful details.

Ellis said...

I have never made a shadowbox but after reading how you made yours I might try making one too! =)
All the little details are amazing and I will have to look more to find all your recycled pieces! =) Have some left over keyes and cereal boxes are always here! =)
Hugs, Elenor

Lori said...

Each square is its own piece of art and then taken all together it's pretty amazing!! I keep going back to look at all the embossing and different textures. Those corner pieces really set the whole thing off. The little pops of red really draw the eye. Gorgeous!!

Cheryl said...

This is just incredible,have just loved reading how you created this master piece,the detail is just fantastic,you sure are one,super talented lady and its a pleasure to see your work,hugs Cherylxxxxxxxx

Shell Shearer Swinscoe said...

Stunning creation, fab recycling!

Thank you for sharing with us at MAWTT this week, good luck!
Hugs Shell xx

craftattack said...

Fantastic creation, Chris! Valerie

Michelle said...

Hi Chris

Wow, what an incredible piece of art!! The more I look the more fabulous detail I see.

I have featured your shadow box over on my Pink Paper Paradise facebook page. (facebook was not playing nicely so I had to add the link back to your blog seperately).

Thank you for sharing with us at Make It Monday this week.

Michelle :o)

Papercraft By Carole said...

This shadowbox is absolutely stunning!! I managed to guess only three of your recycled materials!! I love your designs too - the facial image is brilliant!! Thanks for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers. Cxxx

baileyrosy said...

What a stunning piece of art. I zoomed in to see everything up close and personal !! Love the techniques colours and details on this amazing project. Thank you for sharing with us at Crafty Cardmakers and good luck.

Marie

Sandy said...

A fabulous creation, loved reading about what you used to make your fab steampunk shadowbox. Very inspiring!!
Thanks for linking up with MIM this week.
Remember, to be in the running to win the prize from our sponsor this week just leave a comment for another entry. Be sure to mention you saw them on Make It Monday. The more entries you comment on the more chances you have of winning!
Sandy DT

Lisa M said...

WOW Chris!! Now I want to run to my kitchen and scarf an entire box of cereal down so I can make something this cool! But then I'd be sick and probably not able to craft, so I'll just work my way through it! ;) I LURVE what you've done here. I would not have been able to guess all the recycled elements you've gathered here. I must say the Christmas card section you used is FABULOUS!! What a truly inspiring piece of artwork. :)

Thank you so much for taking the time to link up your talent and creative ideas with us at Make It Monday!
Lisa xx

Zenita Smith said...

This is a great project!! Love how you showed us exactly what was recycled!!
Z

Debbie said...

WOW! What can I say?! Extremely awesome in every detail and bravo for reusing and recycling!

Wishes
Debbie
^..^

blackdragon said...

EXQUISITE Chris.... i totally adore this shadow box.We both seem to be avid re-users.... i may have to send you some of my hoarded items to see what you'd use them for. :)
love BD x

fionalawlor said...

Oh wow! This is fabulous! I love everything about it :) Thanks so much for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers for our "No Cards, Tags or ATCs" Challenge.
Fiona x

2amscrapper said...

this truly is the ultimate--stunning project!

Crafty and Green said...

This is an Amazing Piece of Recycled Art!! I'm so impressed!! W Thank you so much for playing with us this week at Love to Create Challenge, Use Something Recycled! We hope you come back and play with us again very soon!

Many Blessings,
Tina

Lindsay Craftymonster81 said...

Absolutely stunning, I love all the different textures
Lindsay xx

Marjorie said...

Wow Chris!! This is amazing..your artistic art really comes through in this piece...Love everything about it!!
Thanks for sharing your creativity with us this week at MIM...
Hugs,
Marjorie
xx

Sandy said...

This is wonderful and I love it!!!
Sandy