Monday, June 4, 2012

Steampunk Heavy Metal Altered Sardine Can


I had such a great time making my last Steampunk creation, that I decided to create another one, only this time I built a little Steampunk scene framed inside a sardine can. I have been saving sardine cans with something like this in mind for some time now and it was fun to finally get to do it . The main focal point for this as well as all the other paper elements I used are designs from my  new Steampunk Collection.

The designs have been colored with Prismacolor pencils and blended with odorless turpentine.

I also made the gold colored coils out of some brass wire I bought for making stickpins some time ago. The round wheels are vintage buttons, I bought a couple of years ago, the are all metal and very heavy, so think they fit this project perfectly. The sardine can was a recycle from my Hubby, he no longer asks and just assumes if it's weird I will want it.

I created this piece especially for the Heavy Metal challenge on Art With No Boundaries which was just  posted today. 

My Steampunk Heavy Metal Altered Sardine Can is also being featured along side the fabulous examples by the CS Design Team, on our Art With No Boundaries challenge blog. If you haven't checked out this challenge, be sure to do so as the examples by the Design Team are amazing and will knock your socks off.


New Designers: We have also added 3 new designs to the CS Designs Team, so be sure to stop by their blogs, congratulate them and have a look around at their bog at all the beautiful art they have created..

Every one has been enjoying the double challenge at Art With No Boundaries so much that we have decided to make it a standard pratice. The challenge for this fortnight challenge is Anything Goes & Heavy Metal for our Bonus Round, and you guessed it you have to use something metal. Those who play in our Bonus Round will also have a chance to win one of the sentiment collections from my new Steampunk collection. One of the New Design just posted today. can be seen above

Want to win one of the designs from my new Steampunkk collreciotn? 
have a look at my previous post.


My Steampunk Heavy Metal Altered Sardine Can is playing in the following challenges: 
Art With No Boundaries ...  2 challenges Anything Goes & Heavy Metal... Fortnight
Recycle, Re-Purpose & Re-Invent  ... 2 challenges Anything Goes & Heavy Metal... Monthly
Make it Monday ... Link Party, I always love playing in this one.
Smudy Antics ... Anything Goes & Skull Appreciation
Inspire Me Fridays ... Anything Goes 61
Our Creative Corner ... Embellished Frame  ... (My Steampunk Scene framed inside a Sardine Can) ....  I just found this last challenge blog and the work there is just amazing and is a must see.

21 comments:

Bonnie Irvine said...

Holy Smokes! It was such a great idea to use the sardine can and metal buttons to make a vehicle for your challenge design. Your choice of colours, as always, is just beautiful. The metal coils and clock are fun additions. So cool, Chris!
Bonnie

Lori said...

Amazing project! A sardine can? Who knew a sardine can could be so pretty! Gorgeous image. Love the coils and vintage button wheels!

Beverly G said...

Oh my, a new and fabulous Steampunk collection for me to add to my stash. All the details on this go together perfectly.

Chris said...

Hi Chris, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

Shirley-anne said...

What a great recycling project ..Beautiful design ..love this . Thanks for sharing on Make it Monday .

KraftyKoolKat said...

Fantastic recycle project. You make some ones rubbish look awesome. Lol!! I spotted you on MIM this time.

Hugs
Cathy
xxxxx

~Lady B~ said...

Love, luv, LOVE this!!! This piece is so incredibly amazing!!! It's hard to believe all this gorgeousness started with a sardine can. Thanks for sharing with Smudgy Antics :)

monique said...

Love this it is very pretty thanks for sharing at smudgy antics

Scrappycath said...

Love this! Loved it on Art with no Boundaries. And saw it on Make It Monday!

Lisa M said...

We just threw away the sardine can, but I do believe my son has a SPAM can in the works! Chris you've made something so small look extremel large with attitude! It's brilliant what you've designed here. You're truly versatile in your creativity. :)

Thank you so much for taking the time to link up your talent and creative ideas with us at Make It Monday!
Lisa xx

mamapez5 said...

I am amazed that you thought to use something like a sardine can for your art, and even more amazed at what you have done with it. This is such fun, and a wonderful collection of art work and embellishments. It is great to see something so different for a change. I saw this on make it Monday. Kate x

Desire Fourie said...

Gorgeous, loving the colours and design. Have a great Thursday.
Hugs
Desíre
Digistamps4Joy DT Member
Doing Life

MarcyK924 said...

WOW Chris, this is brilliant! What a feast for the eyes! And thank you for the kind words for the OCC gals! We've enjoyed your properly perfect piece for our challenge this week at Our Creative Corner! Hugs, Marcy

I Don't Do Straight said...

What a great idea to alter a Sardine tin! and you have made a FANTASTIC job of it! Thanks for sharing with us at Smudgy Antics this week :)

Sara said...

Christ thanks for visiting my blog at http://mypreciouscraftymoments.blogspot.co.uk/ your comments were lovely and much appreciated. Your designs are really fab and I love the whole sardine tin effect( I will have to try it out ) thanks Sara xxx

Sara said...

Thanks for popping over to my blog at http://mypreciouscraftymoments.blogspot.co.uk/ your comments were lovely Chris. Your images here are just great and I will have to try out the sardine tin and see what I can create xx.

Michelle said...

Wow Chris!! You are so resourceful in your creating, this looks amazing!!

Thank you for sharing with us at Make It Monday this week.

Michelle :o)

Anita Houston said...

Chris...we are trading challenges...lol!!! I feel sorry for the sardine eater, but this little can is a masterpiece! You've filled this with gorgeous elements, and the can itself is a perfect frame for them! Gorgeous artwork! Thank you so much for joining us at Our Creative Corner...so refreshing!!!

Gerri Herbst said...

Simply stunning Chris. I adore your Steampunk. I am going to enter yr Heavy Metal tomorrow.Oh I follow you know too. Love yr stuff nd designs. Thanks for visiting too! take care, gerri

Cheryl said...

oh wow Hun I am so glad you popped over to my blog,as oh how I adore steam punk,your work is just fantastic,and as for your,stamps etc they are just fantastic just my type of thing hope too see more of You hun as boy do I adore your work fantastic,hugs Cherylxxxxxxx

CTgirl said...

Chris, your creation made me smile and left me amazed!
I just love the idea of recycling and I think your sardine tin frame pushes it to a totally new level! WOW!
All the wonderful details and those buttons, to die for!!!
Thanks for the wonderful inspiration!
Rene