Monday, September 12, 2011

CS Designs Starfish Distressing and Paper Beads

My latest Art Tag is all about inspiration and was created especially for the CS Designs / Art With No Boundaries Any Thing Goes Challenge is week. Every Fortnight is a different challenge but the main focus is always to be inspiring to others.

The main focal point of this Art Tag is called The Starfish and is from my new Ocean / Aquatic Digital Stamp Series. The Starfish like most of my precious tag designs has been colored with Prismacolor pencils and blended with odorless turpentine. While this should be inspiring all on it's own I have also made the orange beads and the distressed background.

How To / Paper Beads with a difference: The orange colored beads that adorn this tag were made from orange text weight printer paper and then colored over with brown and turquoise pigment ink. The shape of the long beads are quite different from what most people seem to make and I achived this unusual shape by cutting a V out of the end of the strip rather than making the usual point. It is important to know that how you cut your strip, any notches you create as well as the angle of your cuts always determines the overall shape of a paper bead. There are so many unique possibilities for these depending what you do, and experimenting is half the fun of making them.

Ho To / Distressed Background: The rather distressed multicolored background with the deep red veins is also hand made. I made this by taking a piece of white paper, doing a light wash of ink of several colors like yellow and turquoise and allowing it to dry. Once dry I coating one side of my paper with a layer of wax. This can be the paraffin wax used in home canning, an old candle or a white crayon. After the paper had a layer of wax on it I scrunched it up and twisted it every which way until it looked quite mutilated but still whole. I then brushed on a layer of red drawing ink and allowed it to sit for a bit before I wiped off the excess. The ink settled in the wrinkled portions of the paper while the wax that wasn't affected by the scrunching resisted the ink. After my paper was dry I glued it on to a sturdier piece of cardstock to make a more solid layer for my tag. All of this was super easy yet gave my tag a very distinct look.I hope you like my new tag and are inspired enough to try something like this yourself.

If you like my art and were inspired by my project
please become a follower of my Doodle Pieces blog
by clinking on the Join This Site button on side bar on the left.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Have a look at the rest of my blog
http://doodlepieces.blogspot.com/

I would also like to extend an invitation to visit
and share your art with us on the

The CS Designs Team has created some wonderful examples for our new Fortnight Anything Goes Challenge. While you’re there please leave us a comment, become a follower and share some of your work with us. We would love to visit you too.

Other Challenges Join with The Starfish Art Tag:
Incy Wincy Designs Bookmark Challenge
Make It Monday Link Party
Crafty Boots Anything Goes Inspiration
Paper Creations Ink Distressing
Crafting When We Can Anything Goes
Lollipop Crafts Use Eyelet (main hole in tag)
Quirky Crafts Anything but a Card
The Crafting Misfit Show An Tell
Three Muses  Words (Hawaiian Proverb Starfish)
Do You Stack Up Texture (Distressed Background & Fibers)
Pile It On Layer It (6 layers of paper on my Art Tag
Friday Sketchers / Norwegian Site Use A Digit Stamp

24 comments:

Carolina Girl (Cely) said...

OH My Gosh....I so love this. I am a beach, water girl down to my toes so it is definitely a project I adore. You did a beautiful job. I am so glad I spotted your tag on MAKE IT MONDAY.

Nikki said...

Beautifully Done and thanks for the tip on how you created the BG
Thanks for joining Incy Wincy this week hugs Nikki & DT

Sue said...

Gorgeous ArtTag and wonderful Beads.
Saw it on MIM.
Smiles:)

Melissa Sackman said...

As always Great Project. I just love the Tags. wonderful paper beads and I will be trying out that Background Technique really soon. Thanks for th4e insperation

Diane said...

Thank you for entering the quirky crafts challenge....come back for voting!

Cyndi said...

This is an awesome tag! Very creative! Thanks for joining us this week at Lollipop Crafts!

Sharon said...

This is a gorgeous tag Chris!! Just love the colours you have used with the starfish design and I love your beads and fibres!!

CraftygasheadZo said...

Gorgeous. Thanks for joining us over at Crafty Boots. Zo x

Lynn said...

How gorgeous and I love the colours and the starfish! The distressing is awesome:)
Thanks for joining us at Paper Creations Ink Challenges:)
Huggs
Lynn DT xxx

Gro said...

Awesome tag!
Thanks for joining us this week at Sukkers√łtt. Good Luck!
Hugs Gro

Caro said...

This is such a gorgeous tag. Thanks for joining in with Quirky Crafts 'Anything But a card' challenge this week.

Alanna said...

Super cute tag. Thanks so much for joining us this week at Lollipop Crafts.

Lisa M said...

I'd love to try the beads, they are a bit intimidating for me but I'm most definitely going to try your crackling method. Already jotted it down to try this afternoon. :D
Thank you so much for the very informative post and the beautiful project.
Thanks for linking with us at Make It Monday!
Lisa xx
Remember, for a chance to win the prize from our sponsor, just leave a comment for another entry. Mention you saw them on Make It Monday. The more entries you comment on the more chances you have of winning! WOO HOO!!

Purple Card Lady said...

This is beautiful!!

Spyder said...

Fabulous Tag, thank you for joining us over at Quirky Craft's. Come back in just under two weeks to vote for your favourites
(Lyn)

Annette said...

Wow, now that is a tassle !!! Love your bookmark.

Thanks for joining us at Incy Wincy this week.

PS - I have blog candy if you're interested in entering.

Annette
xx

Kari said...

This is great!
Thank you for joining Sukkers√łtt this week and good luck!

HUgs,Kari :)

Amy Tidd said...

This tag is gorgous! Thankyou for taking part in the first Crafty Boots Challenge! Amyxx

carol said...

beautiful creation, thanks for joining in with our first challenge at CRAFTING WHEN WE CAN, x carol

princesskitten said...

I love that distressed look - and all those fibres

kitten DYSU team

Sonia said...

Very Creative... love your pretty tag!
Thanks for joining us at Lollipop Crafts this week.
Good Luck!
-Sony
Sonia-Studio60

Ren-Yi said...

I love the colors. I'm always a big fan of red & teal :) The distressing looks fab. Thanks for playing along with us at DYSU.

Dee's Craft Room said...

Great tag!

Thank you for entering the first Crafty Boots challenge.

Dionne

Hazel said...

Super tag - love the beads - just right for 'anything but a card' (Hazel, Guest Designer Quirky Crafts) x